[CBQ] Re: East Dubuque & Portage photos?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: East Dubuque & Portage photos?
From: "cornbeltroute" <cornbeltroute@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 19:03:38 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1262891158; bh=/Ao3OMWsPiOlc2FD0soC/2a9qPr9JCvMC6sir7Zy+IE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=B7RzLnDsyaYH3lPr7tx1aXHGK9ht3CndHvd0+bYmXBrRMpa/peobRJyO8TpzXtkSwTXws26inBFkQ3jlxKBkn2O+PKn45yRpqldeUEABL28I0jA0tNTywLUu71OAPRvy
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
> Brian, In the Photos section I posted several photos of the Galena Swingspan
> given to me by a friend several years ago.  They are in an album entitled,
> "Galena Area Bridges".  Bob Krueger. <

Bob,

I don't know how I can thank you enough for uploading those marvelous,
marvelous photos. I think I'll name that portion of the layout the
"Portage-Krueger Section" (working title ;-)

Since you live near Portage, are you up for a couple more questions?

1) The "Twins North of Portage" photo, those are the spans over the Sinsinawa
River?

2) I have not yet found contemporary photos of the Galena River bridge. Is it
the same today as then in the 1930s, including abutments, swing span apparatus
and round pier? If so, I assume the wood operator's cabin is long gone.

Maybe when the weather is nice, I'll rent a boat to take photos of the bridge.
Walking along the right-of-way snapping pics could lead to my being snatched
up, never to be seen again.

BTW, several years ago, I discovered that the bulldozed concrete foundation of
Portage tower is very near where it stood.

Bob, thank you again,

Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com