[CBQ] Re: Burlington Refrigerator Express color schemes?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Burlington Refrigerator Express color schemes?
From: "graywolfs2" <graywolfs02@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:08:05 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1260983294; bh=0NEYwAon8J0ifuoRGCGu9PBxTXStJSwoG57oYhCnJk4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=WLsaOCwsEEi/oKwSSby9GOcDD+IX8o8h2n/Mzr/69WhaeNXDScoNW1zrSzPnPAX8uuHGDq7c5hpCWV4n5ceoQrKO4m9r2V6wm1/uCZTw+YfUW3ZkYBT/+xma8umoVbaL
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Fred,

If you can, find and purchase Burlington Bulletin #12 on reefers.

Not knowing what photos you have seen, I will provide some short info from
Bulletin #12.

First though, if you have seen the 40' ice reefer from Athearn in the green
w/yellow stripe, that is an incorrect car/paint scheme.

The true green/yellow cars were 50' insulated boxcars.

Here is a quote from BB #12 authored by the late Rod masterson and Robert
Landregan:

"When Fruit Growers Express began producing its RBNX insulated boxes in 1954,
it adopted a minor paint scheme variation so the cars could be readily
differentiated from ice-cooled reefers, since from ground level the only sure
spotting feature - the presence or absence of rooftop ice hatches - was
difficult to see. The simple expedient of painting two horizontal black stripes
down the yellow sides of the RBNX cars made them recognizable at a glance.

Since the 100 new Burlington cars, numbered RBBX 79000 - 79099, were to be
leased to Burlington Refrigerator Express for operation and maintenance, Fruit
Growers Express suggested that they be similarly striped. But Lawrence Hanke of
the CB&Q in Chicago went one step and designed an entirely new paint scheme for
the Burlington cars, utilizing the pair of horizontal black stripes. Instead of
leaving the entire car yellow, however, Hanke's paint scheme called for a
yellow band outlined by the black stripes; the remainder of the car - sides,
ends, roof and underbody - was a deep forest green. Obviously, there was no way
of mistaking these attractive cars for anything else! "BURLINGTON REFRIGERATOR
EXPRESS" appeared in black on the yellow band to the left of the door, and the
Burlington Route herald was centered on the band to the right of the door. All
lettering on green areas was white. And these 100 cars established another
first: They were the first Burlington freight equipment lettered in the new
Block Gothic style of lettering." end quote.

The ice bunker reefers and the mechanical reefers were the all yellow cars with
mineral red car ends.

There is a lot of great info on reefers in this issue!!

I hope this rather long winded reply helps!

Greg K.
Minnesota

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com