[CBQ] Re: Paint for F-units

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Paint for F-units
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@nethtc.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:09:04 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1259248145; bh=tsPvafKhvorWi8In5Fvfd5BCXc52xa5Gs4yU0Wb1cLo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-eGroups-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=rRCpqQHTvySwM33xhWCUivsJ2LKBaG6Jmx+PHHs2T0P5lwU85AbItHvesKAngHFKN4NsGSFjfserYW3TODD7O8tmVDaJSVBanrknDQNMa6F7I+gFoZ8kDVMzFhJ8ATnT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dave S. let me concur what John has said regarding Badger's ModelFlex paints. I
have been using them since they were first
offered, and are my paint of choice. They are airbrush ready, no need to thin.
I spray right from the bottle. If you must thin,
used distilled water, and don't thin more than 10%. If you get a bottle that
has thicken or appears to have gone bad, contact
Badger, they have a great warranty/replacement service.

I also have the Anthem 155 airbrush, which is a dual action airbrush and works
great. The tip and needle are designed to handle
the heavier viscosity of acrylic paints. If using an airbrush not designed for
acrylic paints, get the largest tip/needle the
manufacture offers. This will allow the paint to flow properly. I also have a
Passhe H-1, and I had a terrible time spraying
Model-Flex until I replaced the tip and needle with the "Large" size, then it
works great.

While ModelFlex dries to a decal ready finish, Badger offers various clear
coatings. Many modelers have also had success using
Future Floor Finish as an overcoat for decaling. Future is pure acrylic, and
sprays right out of the bottle. I have just begun
using it for a gloss clear finish and am quite happy with the results. Tamiya
also makes a "flattener" that can be added to Future
to give you a flat finish that is very inexpensive.

The beauty of Acrylics is the ease of clean up, no fumes, no volatile
chemicals. I keep a bottle of Windex handy. As ModelFlex is
ammonia based, the ammonia based glass cleaner is great for cleaning the
airbrush.

Beware that if you are use to Floquil or ScaleCoat, be prepared to practice
before doing that prize model. Acrylics paint/flow
differently. And they dry very, very fast. One problem many have is the paint
accumulates on the tip, it must be cleaned very
often. I keep a damp rag handy. Also I spray water or Windex through the
airbrush as soon as I finish spraying a color.

Anyone who has had success using PollyScale paints, which must be thinned to
spray, should have no trouble using ModelFlex.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com