[CBQ] Reverse move at Naperville,IL

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Reverse move at Naperville,IL
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 23:12:05 EST
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1258085539; bh=9lDl++tjN0L06djpoQZM/WFWXi7v/kZFJaWqTKrI4oQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=KPYwLfx7McrwHRJzhO4uZJ7EwFMG4Tkrc+EB3jPKx9szNxzZUJaaYUw4NxAip6Y62tpuoKhXQ0U9D8XdcJolf+dmcvaJHVem2Q0yd2l4zEUtmjZOaPpFbFawx6J2mG45
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
It seems like it was yesterday buts its been 36 or more years. We  stopped
at Naperville westbound on the last leg of an all day 2 rounder. Harley
Peshia was the Con. we had an extra collector for parts of the middle round
trip between Chgo and Aurora. Middle mans name escapes me at this  moment(his
side job was life insurance and no it wasn't Temple)(he smoked a pipe  and
was heavy set) but his face is pretty clear
because...........................

When we left CUS both Harley and the middle man stressed the importance of
not giving a highball at Naperville until each of us had checked his 3 cars
to  make sure we weren't taking any one to the Hill Yd(we didnt go to
Aurora  depot).
I believe this was xmas eve and I dutifully walked thru 2 and 1/2 cars at
the rear  of the train and stuck my head in the last 1/2 car. Finding noone
in the coaches I went to the step and gave a highball. Off we went westward
to  the Hill yd and a Holiday ! I stepped back into the head half of my
head car ;as  we detrained off the head end at the Hill Yard and lo and behold
sitting next to  the bulkhead was a young mother and child !?!?!
A quick trip to the vestibule and a hit on the communicating whistle
brought us to a stop just west of the platform.Remember we had no radios or
intecoms. I stuck my head out the door and gave a backup sign as we still  had
cars east of the signal and so we were OK to back up(sort of). Rest assured
I had visions of 1946 dancing in my head as we backed up.

Long story short as I guided the back up move from the rear door way the
middle man was "talking" with the mother. We stopped with the 3rd rear car
just  on the platform; mother and child detrained. I thought no more of the
incident  and went home for the Holiday only to find myself working xmas day.

A few days later while looking over the "call" board before going on duty
at Aurora the trainmasters clerk spied me and advised "the trainmaster wants
to  see you". Oh ...............  So I went upstairs and TM Harris was in
his  spacious office. He wanted to know what I had said to the mother on the
dinky  the other day that got her so upset to file a written report? I
advised I didnt  say anything to her other than she would have to leave the
train
at Naperville  as we didnt go to Aurora as previously announced. "are you
sure thats all that  was said" Yes I answered,why ? We'll she maintains one
of the brakemen used foul  language and called her names and asked why she
didnt hear the announcements  about not going to Aurora. It wasn't too long
after this incident that the  middle man decided to make life insurance sales
his day job and left the  RR.

Leo
.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com