[CBQ] Cutting out brakes

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Cutting out brakes
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 07:55:42 EST
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1257512147; bh=mg1R4Z5OoKcbPUg7Ou7i3IBaHXtRvZ2Bg8LY0CeFlxE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=BVGtILBTQL9CYKKTBhbw1tnpvwx69Amy97F8VX5Kd8NFDZtgwcjrqDtp9MYAGZCeDr9VLSdJLY0IhNPQtidpvM5iRoyUKaQnJ8uQVHoJytCeEgkUMAoSsJczquaMU7TN
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ryan,

To cut out brakes on a car you find the cut out valve handle in the train
line under the car and turn it to the cut out position. If my memory is
working  the handle is just off center from the doors. Then you must "bleed
off"
the  brake cylinder and reservoir on the car to drain the air so brakes are
off. Car  will then have no operating brakes until valve is cut back in but
there will be  air thru the train line and to the other cars.

I cut out brakes many times on frt cars but never had to do so on a double
deck. I could be wrong but I dont believe you can cut out only one truck on
a  double deck as per above you have to drain the the air from the part of
the  system.

Most cutouts are due to brake valve failure. Unusual for one to fail in
service between Chicago and Aurora as usually the yard air brake test finds
these before loading the train.

Leo Phillipp

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com