Re: [CBQ] GP 7&,9,SD 7&9

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] GP 7&,9,SD 7&9
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 22:39:45 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1253677196; bh=ytzeOeBSlxsnXAGqeRxOO8e72pB1MyJq9PKanelvtis=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ltYxsoyfLURIkKip+qivBKVlLni9dVpfpJiuNHzw1JERxi3kXEUn2h4StN3iCiGS4qvSPaM44xBW9wJj+O5lOlD1ciHbMOvF71wQrVqHt87qIFOjW3fuHuigJe1nMBa8
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo-
As always, great insights and well presented!!!
Thanks,
Charlie Vlk

  As unsolicited info on the GPand SD long hood/short hood discussion.
  From 1968-72, I was an unpaid machinists helper/holster to John
  Hettinger at the Eola Rdhse on Sundays, day shift. I learned more about 30,60
and
  90 day inspections and locomotives then I'll ever forget.I even put storm
  windows on several NWs and GPs. I can sand and fuel anything you want me to.
  I even went down to the west yard and rode w/Phil Butler from time to time
  and experienced the slack action from the steel the 'J' delivered. This
  "intership" was arranged between John and my uncle,Ray Lorenz,who was a
  carmans helper on the Eola rip. I believe they did this so that I would have
  step up when I graduated from high school. I fooled them and went on to
  community college and then train service.Yes, the rdhse foreman saw me on
  several occasions.
  Each job had a specific loco. directional arrangment and lo to any Rdhse
  person who didnt follow it.The engineer was w/in agreement rights to reject
  the enigne if not facing the correct direction. Yes I ran the Eola turntable
  dozens of times to make it so. The logic was to provide the engineer the
  best view of the ground guys passing signs. All NW2s assigned to the yard
  were to face east(long end forward,just like in steam days). Each wayfreight
  had its own indiocincraties. The Irish Mail with its sw1, was to face west.
  The "mails" and their GP7s were to face west so that at West Chicago,where
  all the action took place,the engineer would have a clear view along the
  long hood(After changing sides). The Fox River was easy as each unit was to
  be short hood forward for changing ends at Wedron. The EE was to face east,
  as I recall, The Denrock/Savanna Jobs GP7 was to face west.The Earville
  Turn was to face west for all the switching at Cat that took hours.
  Once in train service I quickly understood why. One day we turned on the
  Earville turn at the namesake and the fog was so thick you couldn't see 100
  ft in front of the engine. Bob Brumell,as was his habit, due to a girth
  restriction, didnt changed sides and ran her long hood forward from the North
  side back to Cat. My job "from the engineers side" was to" call whistle
  post" as I saw them. Lets just say whistle posts appeared out of fog as the
  long hood was next to them.
  Running long hood forward was just plain uncomfortable from a view,ride and
  safety standpoint.

  Leo

  .