[CBQ] Re: branchline combines

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: branchline combines
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 02:04:36 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1252980310; bh=dyHklyE8g3CKroH7AZ15dLF2NU1oxgulGbyWkNiMsm0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=TJhtn4LCYn8w9F3drx2YcMdjrEogvmXLlAm4S4Vl5cKg0eS1Db1jdGuxMU9eQqzEPjz+Q0/3VFtNgIAAFI2EX/m6XT2qqaikJok72gaA0eq1kA/qfY3arNOp4fjJPXiF
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
For anyone interested, there's a good pic of 3537 on p. 16 of Mike Spoor's
color guide to CB&Q rolling stock.

Putting scale ruler to Bill Glick's diagram book, the window pairs on the 3530
series cars are about the same height but almost 10% wider than those on the
Pullmans (faithfully) modeled by Branchline, so presumably their cars would
make less than perfect starting points. I don't know about the cars Charlie
mentions, but it wouldn't surprise me if either AHM or IHC was conveniently a
bit large for scale; certainly worth a look.

Regarding the notorious rib or bar above the windows, let us know  what you
decide to do. So far as I know it is one of  those defining Burlington features
that never appears on generic models and is not easily replicated without
re-laying out the entire car sides to get them to look right. Letterboards on
the Q's cars with ribs were broad - maybe 3-4 inches wider than on a standard
Pullman. Tricky to model and to capture the appearance if starting with, say, a
narrower Branchline letterboard. Could make lettering difficult too, if adding
the rib constricted vertical space. I might be inclined to fabricate a new,
larger letterboard and raise  the car sides.

I agree w/Charlie, you're in for a good bashing. But you also will end up with
a pretty neat model.

Have fun!
Jonathan