[CBQ] Re;SD45's

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re;SD45's
From: "qrailroadman" <qrailroadman@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:33:23 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1251300807; bh=YuHafcjXTz+eTbYKaFW0VDat8QhJmqOLU7ewohcby9g=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=B78d5gQPJMzXI8vTJJEbiVrIL5rNHGXCP+zoU3jymlQA9o8m0i5NvI9lIbM6dv2kj2Lyz6QTWiW+qMlmHWQKCIthxn0NZRS4Jo1X6KUgHhwhJQeiTBE+UMMtNBA3CaTj
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill,
The Dash 2 was a refined version of the original but for anyone having had the
experience of working with, or close to, an N&W 45 running as it was configured
to operate, that is, long end forward was greeted with the most formidable look
any locomotive could present.  The overall length of the engine, combined with
the sloped radiator assemblies, produced a truly impressive appearence.

A side note to "long-end-forward" operation is the extra safety afforded the
engine crew in the event of a collision with something.  By the time pieces of
the struck object go by the cab they are either too small or too far away (or
both) to present much of a hazard to cab occupants.

Visibility was equal to, or better than, any view of the track enjoyed by the
Engineer of a medium to large steam locomotive.  Stuff within 40 to 60 feet
ahead of my enging was of little importance to me since I had blind faith in
the track dept. and, by the time I would see something, it's way too late to
worry.  Alfred E Newman had the perfect attitude about things like that.

Karl