[CBQ] Re: SD45's

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: SD45's
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:11:08 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1251213080; bh=vDjye/hdqfDxW1IdvRfnLhPOPC7Hcd22GGA57wi7TUI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ZgdDHjyWmvuc4U8WN2IwtRs/aG/0JX3u4H01ky9krikJOxDfGwXVLC5lfREsk07XRNm4y/vQT41eXp6vtfSQR2a54LFalAE9fyKp2i62M9hTCuNKM0sG+tDktSK8gsMS
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
CBQ
Messages In This Digest (4 Messages)
1.
Re; SD45's From: qrailroadman
2a.
Wood trestles between White Hall IL and Alton? From: Stan Maddox
2b.
Re: Wood trestles between White Hall IL and Alton? From: STEVEN HOLDING
3.
Galloping Ghost From: J. Harvey Koehn
View All Topics | Create New TopicMessages
1.
Re; SD45's
Posted by: "qrailroadman" qrailroadman@yahoo.com   qrailroadman
Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:16 pm (PDT)

Well - - despite all the "bad press" these locomotives have garnered
over the years, they're STILL my all time fav-o-right 6 axle
engine !! I never had one "blow up" or lose a truck but I've had
hunnerts of 'em talk real loud to me in the cuts above Oregon. The 20
had a distinct exhaust not to be confused with the slightly more fuel
efficient 16's. SD45 for 6 axle power and GP40's for 4 axle
locomotives. They're tough to beat.

Karl

Back to topReply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post
Messages in this topic (1)
2a.
Wood trestles between White Hall IL and Alton?
Posted by: "Stan Maddox" stan.maddox@burlingtongulf.com   standrumz
Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:46 pm (PDT)

Hello,

I am researching potential modeling opportunities. What was the
longest or tallest CB&Q wood trestle between White Hall IL and the
greater Alton/Wood River area? Long or tall is fine, it doesn't have
to be both. Or, a steel truss or girder span with long wood trestle
approaches would also be acceptable. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Stan

Back to topReply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post
Messages in this topic (12)
2b.
Re: Wood trestles between White Hall IL and Alton?
Posted by: "STEVEN HOLDING" sholding@sbcglobal.net   copivd
Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:35 pm (PDT)

Stan
Were they wood or concrete. The Q was a early user of concrete pile
trestles.
More to come in the Zephyr when I get done writing it.
SJH

________________________________
I am researching potential modeling opportunities. What was the
longest or tallest CB&Q wood trestle between White Hall IL and the
greater Alton/Wood River area? Long or tall is fine, it doesn't have
to be both. Or, a steel truss or girder span with long wood trestle
approaches would also be acceptable. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Stan

Back to topReply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post
Messages in this topic (12)
3.
Galloping Ghost
Posted by: "J. Harvey Koehn" jhkoehn@prodigy.net   harvey13519
Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:12 pm (PDT)

    I was looking through the June 15, 1953 issue of Railway Age and
saw a photo and caption of "Red" Grange christening the front of a
Burlington locomotive on a Chicago-Kansas City overnight freight, No.
77.  Train crews had given this train the moniker "The Galloping
Ghost".  When did Burlington begin operating the "Galloping Ghost"
and when did they stop running it?  And what did it haul?
    Thanks.

J. Harvey Koehn
Andover, KS

Back to topReply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post
Messages in this topic (1)
RECENT ACTIVITY
1
New Members
Visit Your Group
Biz Resources
Y! Small Business
Articles, tools,
forms, and more.
Celebrity kids
and families
Surviving in
the spotlight
Weight Management Group
on Yahoo! Groups
Join the challenge
and lose weight.
Need to Reply?
Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in
the Daily Digest.
Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls
MARKETPLACE
Mom Power: Discover the community of moms doing more for their
families, for the world and for each other

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch
format to Traditional