Re: [CBQ] Re:California Zephyr east coast service

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re:California Zephyr east coast service
From: Bob Webber <cz17@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:28:37 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1250385896; bh=Lt74UvGjFx0l/PkSzN4Hwxvu2wIusmPAk0uwTIPSKho=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=o8pj6MA5eFt1R0Iow42ZudYEDEdIPqWjfQTEhp8Bo1QCdLTpKCHssRFaEFqzoeoiiNSRmHMFTUwypp1cQY7vI9u2YaQdmgU3an8u++VlLOJkNCsfzCyIF2qIYz8FjwWv
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
A few misconceptions.

The Transcontinental service was in effect from the beginning through
Oct. 1957.  The PRR owned SILVER RAPIDS, and the NYC leased one of
multiple cars from all railroads at various times (note that "leased"
here is a somewhat misnomer - they were assigned by Pullman) and were
part of the Pullman Pool, with specific assignments dictated by the
consortium contract)   By 1953 or 54, the service had become
increasingly less popular during the winter months and was curtailed
- this actually fits in the myth that the CZ was "always" a pure
train, and "always" with 3 dome coaches, etc.   The train could be as
few as 7 cars, they could have several foreign cars, and there could
were a variety of "summer" only service.  The loading number remained
the same for the transcon car regardless if it was a PRR, NYC, CZ,
CB&Q or other car.  If the PRR or NYC designate car was off line,
another CZ or Q car typically took it's place - a NYC VALLEY series
sleeper also showed up there often (if the leased car was
"off".)   Transcon passengers had the option of staying with the car
or leaving luggage in the car and seeing the sights of Chicago,
boarding with the rest.  The CW switchers and other passenger
switchers had steam heat available, and usually took care of the
transfer from/to NYC.

The 16 section cars were leased to the Pullman Pool (well, actually,
all CZ sleepers were operated by Pullman to begin with) - when they
started coming off the train, in 1952, they would be seen anywhere
that they might be assigned by Pullman.  They were not converted into
coaches until 62/63.  The flat op coaches were between the baggage &
first dome coach, and were typically used for "shorts" or overflow.

Note though that that position was dictated by other
events.  Depending on deadheads, foreign coaches, dorms (when KCZ
lounge was used and the CZ dorm-lounge was maintained), tours and
other events that might modify the location.