[CBQ] Re:California Zephyr east coast service

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:California Zephyr east coast service
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:01:06 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1250384547; bh=Ybg6vZr4BhfyugctWNG0eRhriacoHyrMGIN5Ky0peGA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=g/97DbzyJHbhCtn6sI6ZzhFsqvfOtaBYVlEs2lxzbhm7Ey3L6HPP1MDccMfNEF11Yx09IX3dCgPFkTANFPfrDQDWKvesrfQW2rgbBeZ6CU2acm056Y8J7EXRBTJ/Qg4r
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In the early years of the California Zephyr, trough sleeper service
was offered from New York City vis New York Central and Pennsylvania
on alternate days. Pennsy contributed the Silver Rapids, a 10-6
sleeper for this service while NYC leased a 10-6 sleeper from the
D&RGW for their contribution. I have several questions concerning
this service that someone in the group may be able to answer.

1. Per my July, 1955 Official Guide, it appears that the service was
only offered during the summer vacation months. There is a note in
the Guide indicating Pennsy service from June through September and
NYC service from June through October. Is this correct or am I
misreading the Guide? Was this always the case over the entire
existence of the service?

2. I am assuming that on the days when Silver Rapids and the leased
D&RGW cars were at the west end, other CZ 10-6 sleepers were operated
in the east over the Pennsy or NYC. Is this correct?

3. The NYC car, in the Guide, is shown as CZ11. Did the Pennsy car
service carry the same identification on the alternate days?

4. The Pennsy car arrived in Chicago on the General, I believe,
around 9:45 AM. It would have been a simple switch move over to the
CZ for 3:30 PM departure. Was the car and it's occupants held in
Union Station during the day?

5. The NYC car move was more complicated. It arrived at 7:30 AM I
would guess at La Salle Street Station. What routing was used to move
it to Union Station? Who moved it (NYC, Q or other)? How was the car
kept warm or cool during the move (Wakesha engine)?

6. One last question. In 1952, the 6-5 sleepers were delivered to
replace the unpopular 16 section cars. The 16 section cars were then
rebuilt into 48 seat coaches which still carried the CZ name on the
letter board. How were these rebuilt cars used in the train?

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO