[CBQ] Re: GHQ O-4 detail kit and prototype questions

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: GHQ O-4 detail kit and prototype questions
From: "mark.g92753" <markg99051@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 03:58:14 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1242705507; bh=Nv5Zj5yxjTtvz/vNVpFLkHs7hW8w1UPTmFakvkHjeSs=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=qRbeDzX+GDBHGDNYVWO34QNHgW7cY2gyRbL7tIB7/xjNx75S4k/exogHnq2tEtevsy8zjn24l9tUV6h9dZvKTK0VmNVqT+uXbywPvm2ff3w3Nwyf/Jdcexe6QoLStQG6
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I can help with the second question. The most common and easiest to model
waycar would probably be an NE-10 painted MOW orange. You can see several
pictures in Mike Spoor's CB&Q Color Guide. Which I highly recommend as a
reference. Years ago Atlas made a caboose in this paint scheme. Once and awhile
you'll see them on eBay.

Otherwise, you can repaint either an Atlas or a Micro-Trains standard cupola
caboose to make a good approximation. Microscale has a decal set for the
waycars. You'll want the decals that are printed in black.

Mike indicates in the color guide that beginning in 1959 the CB&Q started
repainting the NE-10s silver. If you're not too fussy about the exact year,
Atlas makes a silver caboose. Micro trains has also made some cabooses
(cabeese?) in mineral red, which would also work.

Although it is tempting, if you want to be accurate to the time period, you'll
want to avoid the extended vision cabooses as they came later according to
Mike's book.

Finally, the caboose I'd personally like to lobby for is the NE-12. Very
attractive silver paint scheme and made by CB&Q at the Havelock shops beginning
the mid-1950s (credit to Mike Spoor again). The unusual sloped cupola has never
been manufactured in N scale to my knowledge, although I wish someone would.

While I on the topic, I keep waiting for Micro-trains to do the MOW Orange
caboose -- would love to have one with the new crisp lettering that we've
gotten used to in N-Scale today. Are you listening Micro-Trains?

Finally, a disclaimer. I'm not as knowledgeable as many who post here, so if I
gotten anything wrong, don't hesitate to correct it, I'm  not easily offended.