Re: [CBQ] Train/car bridges? was Re: Burlington Railroad Bridge, now fou

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Train/car bridges? was Re: Burlington Railroad Bridge, now fountain...
From: cttnghmrl@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 01:29:13 EDT
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1240896632; bh=RTxwQisSfPPSz/rFZIKUmTNPZRJFCuG48fLHmZW767c=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-IP:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=qvANuQNu4U292YzTcuYbGgoFlO9YjMld1/Ud51S7Aq70Z0EabQvR4mXicwy7Ek/B+AnULHsiPksSHKo7ECea/AG6h5bz8Q99s7kiOb83sO3u1nTaNTeX2g+Djhtax9Tw
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Wow, talk about nostalgia!  The fountain pen ink I remember using most  was
Sheaffer's "Scrip."  It had the little pocket inside near the top which
held just about the right amount of ink to fill a pen.

For railroad content, as a senior in high school (Peoria High) I had a part
 time co-op job at the large manufacturing company in E. Peoria.  (I  won't
name the company, but their products were painted yellow.)  It  consisted
of posting to a ledger and vouchering for payment both car load (rail)  and
LCL (truck) freight bills.  All the work had to be done in black ink  with a
fountain pen.  They supplied the ink, but I had to use my own  pen.

I believe the Quiz Kid you are referring to was Joel Kupperman.   Vanessa
Brown was a young girl who also was popular on the show, who later  became a
movie actress.

I never worked for a railroad, but had a good friend who  did.  The train
orders were form 19 and 31, but I don't remember what the  difference was.
Carbon paper was placed carbon side up under the thin  paper orders, and a
stylus was used to write the order information.  The  words were then actually
on the underside of the "flimsies."  I also  remember watching Monty Powell
type orders when he worked at Walnut Tower in  Peoria.  Somewhere in my
files I have a copy of an order written by John  LeMaster, the first trick
operator at Farmdale Tower, east of East Peoria.   The paper was originally
green but has faded over the years.  I think  Farmdale Tower closed in 1950.

I really am that old.

Ray Cottingham
Troy, IL
web. Get the Radio Toolbar!