[CBQ] Fw: BRHS Vitality

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Fw: BRHS Vitality
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:21:05 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1240518042; bh=9lq7lv4ZhxPB9aZP6T5fZ3I+RILf71eulYUy/+uaL4s=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ktUWNh22g0ZJTx00DuL5n27Bi5jglNSEEYLO7IJtn3rDCzfZbRZhky4PkrLq8cvqsLFQxVKX0O+bAZ8KZ0tGW2rC9Uvuv6WjsTaFB2L4/2p7ct781DeyfpoGrPAZDewR
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Dave-

While I do think that an umbrella organization for RR Historical Societies
would be useful.... I've thought since we have overlapping interests, why not
charge $40 for a "primary"
interest road membership and an additional $40 to be divvied up between all the
member societies according to their primary membership level.   This would help
all the sociieties and allow members to peek at stuff from other roads that is
relevant (I don't need to have endless info on the operations on Raton Pass,
but do need to model some of their cars for interchange).  But the history of
cooperation between model railroaders and railfans on a national level is not
good based on the NMRA and NRLHS models and we have stuff we can work on
locally.

The idea of getting together with the GN and NP guys for archives is great...
except for the location.... which is on a far end of the Q.   We need a
location convenient to the bulk of our members.   Access for volunteers to
organize, catalog, scan, etc.  the collection and to guide researchers to
access it in person is important.   St. Paul might work for the GN and NP guys
as it is the a significant town for both railroads, it is a little off the main
line for most of us.  Based on meet turnout, I'd guess some place in the
Chicagoland area....   I think that West Chicago might be a candidate..... but
right now that isn't my primary focus.

I've corresponded with one of the movers behind the PRR e-zine for advice.  He
recommends getting a core group of six or more "editors" who can act as agents
to encourage, prod, cajole, pressure, people to write articles and then to work
with them to help get them into publishable format.   He also recommends that a
number of issues worth of material be "in the can" before launching to the
public.   Having edited a quarterly 20-page genealogy journal for a number of
years I can't agree more... the worst part of being an editor is trying to get
material to fill the pages.....we need a varied group of talented people to
attract submissions... just one or two people can't do it alone very well, and
they will burn out.

I don't anticipate that Dave Lotz will take exception to any positive
recommendations or, especially, efforts from the membership to improve the
Burlington Route Historical Society.   I will not take any proposal to the BRHS
BOD without having something in place ready to go.....    I don't have the
resources to mount any effort on my own but will join fellow CB&Q enthusiasts
in getting something going...... and would like to hear from anyone who is
interested in exploring the possibilities of starting a  Q e-zine.   To
participate you don't have to have much beyond an interest in the CB&Q, web
access,  and some level of writing skills (not much more than being able to
post comments here!!!).   Ideally, we can get a good cross section of "editors"
that have different geographic and varying networks of friends to draw out
material for the e-zine.

Charlie Vlk