Re: [CBQ] Spring Meet & a collectibles question

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Spring Meet & a collectibles question
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:52:29 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1240329134; bh=9KEEDD4cgqtjU+JbJYszcKuNpa0Lf6+1wA/9oyTwEmM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=u9agcCLLm+3JqLACYZcUi/rrjOAlu8OdJx8yuj+ladwr+QkXkJuDj8GaRg26v3mbNjodvRdfxl8le9wh07woqIQPbIGxY4i1OcolDGQ0cvTvcsldh1FuwSAO6BjO+fMR
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I add my thanks to Phil and his wife, Dave Lotz and all that helped put
together another sucessful Spring Meet.

During my rambling I proposed that one of the ways we could breath some new
life into the Society would be to, as an adjunct to encouraging Modeling of
Things Burlington Route, start an e-zine as the PRR, B&O, Seaboard, and C&NW
societies have.   I asked if there was anyone that had web-hosting, etc..
technical expertise to help out with the nuts and bolts of starting such an
enterprise.  One gentleman raised his hand, but with the transition to the
next clinic (again for which I apologize to Ed DeRouin, he was shortchanged
in time for what was an excellent show!!) I did not follow up with him and
get his name.

If that gent is on this list, please contact me via email.   I would also
like to hear from people interested in working on and contributing to such a
e-zine.   The Leadership of the BRHS has to be involved in this and I would
think that the content of any such effort would have to be coordinated with
the Zephyr and Bulletin so as to not dilute those publications.

We should discuss this here (?) or maybe on the "official" BRHS site.....  I
think we need to do something to breath some vitality back into the BRHS
which seems to be in a "business as usual" mode.

On this topic, since West Chicago wants to be "The Birthplace of the
Burlington", why not see if there is some way we could work with their
existing museum to make West Chicago the site of the long-desired Burlington
Route Archives?  Especially since they have paid staff already in place who
know how to write Grant Proposals ... our needs are modest (space,
utilities, maybe some equipment).   I would prefer some geographic location
that is 1) convenient to the vast majority of members
and 2) not in a flood plain.   Seems to me that West Chicago would be a
logical choice and perhaps more managable in many respects than other
possibilities....
Phil and Gerald have some history with West Chicago and I'm sure others
would be willing to back them up in such an effort...

Lets have some ideas and discussion on these topics.....

And Gerald-   contact Hank Balinski in Kenosha.   He has an extensive BR
Lantern collection and knows more about the subject than anyone else I can
think of.   Be careful if you visit him... his 3" Live Steam Class A and
railroad are very contagious!!!

Charlie Vlk

PS-   I intend to get my work done on the SD7, SD9, SD9 (C&S late) and SD24
artwork by the end of the month so the Bulletin can get finished!!