[CBQ] Charlies Train Tales

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Charlies Train Tales
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 21:54:36 EDT
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1239846906; bh=iB/iK1MusDGesR9yDJr4gD+9+lIgD/oPprMLKUpr96U=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-IP:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=DzhuTvBrqXroMLyye/ex11LAHvq1iu34DntREn+n9kuJSv7loBibcssPk1nQ+7lcXH59BAfT/mblPR37SDovRiuWrTBpuLvd+1wutlrvsC4oeHj+BV3yke43Y/zr1Nxs
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I was just rereading my copy of Charlies Train Tales written by R R Charles
 who was a Q brakeman and Condr after having worked on the IHB,Erie and
Monon.  Funny I worked w/RR many times on the dinkies but he never talked much
about the  "old" days then.

Here's just a sample of his first hand comments about working on the Qs
wood waycars. When the paper grain doors came out replacing the wood ones  the
train crews discovered that they and cardboard worked well as insulation on
 the inside of the w/cs to block out the drafts coming thru the cracks in
the  siding.

What was the quickest way to get a fire going in the coal stove when
waking up on a winter morning ?
Stick a fussee into the coal you just tossed in. Not fast enough,use more
fusees !

Now that was classic Charlie !

Leo Phillipp
**************Why pay full price? Check out this month's deals on the new