Re: [CBQ] NE-12 waycar model

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] NE-12 waycar model
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:04:56 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1237133082; bh=CDtw0xQgjhblFvKudRJ1IYsdM+ZeifAMHjDtD67dEo4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=oYxk9u6FpP9HcoIZn38guYnVBrBFaWHMShP2SofK2+ROtYSAXJvb/VlspDtHegBli2M/fuTAgQWjRPD5WvuUS0tMxCSXlagSe/hnZV6yrmySZEhmTAd1DbOvvEm/GjpA
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
This is one of those cases, like the old Varney B&O short bay window
caboose, or the running gear of the Bachmann GS 4-8-4 - that the
plastic is *almost* perfect for the role.  And in some cases, better
than previous attempts in brass (note the "previous").

Query the archives, and you'll be led in the direction of a method
for re-making these (Bachmann) cabooses to be quite nice.  I think it
was discussed just about 3-4 weeks ago.  The problems are in the
running boards, and some other cast on pieces.  Depending on your
patience, skills and ability to find the parts, the end result can be
very good - the basic car body is OK.  At least you don't have to do
anything to the windows, cupola, and such as you do with most WCs. I
think someone (Megow? or somesuch) makes a platform kit for it or one
that will fit.  With Ken's suggested trucks, a decent underbody
detailing, and the rest of the points in the article on building one
of these, you can have a nice car - the start should be cheap, a few
bucks at most swap meets.  Do it in orange and you'll get a lot of
remarks, and a good looking car.  Though I've always been partial to
the aluminum schemes, the orange with the aluminum frames just pops
out at you.

At 10:33 AM 3/15/2009, you wrote:
>    Dustin,
>
>Nickel Plate Products imported one in brass years ago. Also Bachmann
>makes one (not lettered Q but everything else) that at a minimum you
>have to change trucks and couplers. How much other detail you want to
>change or  modify is up to  you.
>
>For trucks I would suggest Tahoe Model Works TMW 105 50 ton Dahlman.
>
>Ken Martin
>

>Dustin wrote:
>
> >Does anyone out there know if a HO scale model of a NE-12 waycar
> has been made and if so buy who.Or per chance you have one and
> would be willing to sell it.
> >
> >Dustin Holschuh
> >Rock Falls,Il

Bob Webber