Re: [CBQ] Motor cars as switchers (ex herald)

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Motor cars as switchers (ex herald)
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:28:14 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1234470509; bh=XRdvBg2138p9XpycCJ5+jkiF0Y/MIwljpWcnoJi+9k8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:X-Spam-Flag:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ZlKMvQm9nCvafq9JjGkN9CYqQwh6FATx83yueLbh1OzWrVKJ6ab28++sn2hbA7KD5867i08+ydNV7e1DBP55N0BWDy8w6j6NQeI1GVnbBHGpFtz16bH8/UmBFZOiBGTn
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hol

I beg to differ with your statement that..."at least there was always a firemen
hanging out the window"..

The whole idea of using the motorcars for switchers was that they weighed less
than 90,000lbs and therefor under the 1937?? agreement didn't require a fireman.

Summer of 1956 I worked for two weeks the Hastings NE-Huntley NE local three
days a week we made the Hastings-Huntley turn and two days we ran mainline
Hastings to Sutton and then north to Lushton, back to Sutton and then south to
Clay Center....Our power was the 9769.?? To my everlasting regret I never rode
the cab on that job...We used a standard waycar and always had? short train
therefore both brakeman always rode the waycar.

At Huntley the Q had constructed a WYE when the line was abandoned in the early
1940's where we turned the motor...Also there was a Wye at Lushton...At Clay
Center there was no wye....We backed up from Clay Center to Sutton waycar first.

I think that the 9769 was a "double end" machine, but our engineer never
changed ends or maybe the controls on the "rear" end were inoperable.

There was no complicated switching and we never really had any problems...The
only difficulty appeared when some of the elevators on the Huntley line started
to "load heavy" and the tonnage would be too much for the MC...As I recall we
were limited to 5 cars or 238 tons.? The crew always said when they had too
much tonnage they would query the DS as to what they should do and were..always
told "well take what you can"...When the elevators loading began it was
necessary to deadhead a fireman out from Lincoln and use the 9135 for the
Huntley turn...That limited our speed to 10mph on he 56 lb rail and made for
some long days...(Nice overtime though)

The last time I saw the 9769 was at Sutton, NE in August 56 with a burned out
traction motor....

The car was ultimately sold to the Iowa Southern Utilities RR at Centerville in
1966, IIRC...I think it was scrapped there.

Pete