[CBQ] Re: Winton 201A sound

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Winton 201A sound
From: "l_dowell" <slyone@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 08:17:45 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "laureledge18" <rawolter@...> wrote:

>      A friend has mentioned that a technician with Tony's Trains, Josh
> Shedaker, who specializes in QSI Quantum Revolution DCC decoders with
> sound, is working on the idea of QSI producing one based on the Winton
> 201A diesel engines used in the Pioneer, Mark Twain and other
> shovelnose Zephyrs.
>      Josh says the problem is finding a digitized source for the sound
> of the actual engine. Is anyone aware of a recording, video tape or
> other source which could be used?  Also, info on the sound and type of
> single-note horn would be important.
>
> Thanks, Dick Wolter

There's a sound file dor the Winton 201 done for the Loksound decoders
on the Loksound group here on Yahoo. I've used it in decoders for
myself, some friends, and some customers of the store I work at
part-time. Its my understanding that it's source is the movie Silver
Streak mentioned in another response. The horn as recorded has a
ray-gun sort of sound that I can't vouch for the accuracy, but I'm
believing it came from the movie as well.  The bell used is a fire
alarm bell which I understand to be accurate as well. If your guy
contacted the author of the Lok' version, perhaps he'll find the work
is already done and it becomes a matter of simply reformatting it for
QSI based decoders.

Lyle