RE: [CBQ] Prewar coaches with crew dormitories

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Prewar coaches with crew dormitories
From: Stephen Levine <sjl_prodigynet@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 08:26:51 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
At the time you observed Silver Leaf, DZ-40 was a daytime Burlington-Chicago
coach.  I doubt if it needed to have dormitory accommodations as it was not on
the train during the overnight portion of its run.

With the Spring, 1967, timetable change, the train was rearranged.  No longer
needing a section to uncouple at Denver to go to Colorado Springs, the dome
coach was moved back with the coaches and the positions of the sleeper and
slumbercoach that had been a part of that section were reversed and the cars
placed behind the diner, so that the two slumbercoaches were together and the
sleeper ahead of them.  The slumbercoaches were renumbered from SC-7 and SC-19
to SC-8 and SC-9 respectively.  Also, at that time, DZ-40 became a
Denver-Chicago car, placed at the front of the train.  According to the fellow
I am conversing with, the reason for this was that, at least during the summer
months, the Silver Garden and Silver Patio were no longer being assigned to the
train, so that a car with dormitory accommodations was needed for the coach
attendants.  The space in the car was unreserved and for short distance
passengers.  Thus there had to have been
 two cars that had been converted.  Perhaps they were converted just for this
use on the DZ.

The other thing to note was that the Silver Leaf carried, I believe, 60
passengers.  Having been originally built for the General Pershing Zephyr, it
was the only prewar Burlington stainless steel streamlined coach with this
seating capacity, and, as such, it was longer than any of the other coaches at
88 feet.

My guess is that the cars that were converted were 52 seat coaches.

sjl