[CBQ] Re: Ashland Nebraska Coal Chute

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Ashland Nebraska Coal Chute
From: Randy Gordon-Gilmore <zephyr9900@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:51:56 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
At 01:03 AM 10/16/2008 -0000, Tim wrote:

>I just posted a picture of the Ashland Nebraska Coal Chute. Does anyone
>know of how the Q got the coal cars up the ramp in order to load the
>tenders?

Tim, here's an excerpt from a letter from Kermit Craig when I asked him
about the Ashland coaling chute back in 1995:

"I notice that the equilateral switch at Ashland is located a bit upon the
incline.  I guess this was done when available trak space was at a premium.
 At Napier the equilateral switch is right at the base of the incline.
Yes, one track for loaded coal cars and one for empties.

"In addition...I have had the benefit of talking several times to a fellow
who had been "coal chute foreman" at Napier [where there was a very similar
chute] for several years.  He provided me with valuable operational data.

"A 32 HP gasoline engine located in the engine house at ground level
provided power for the winch.  The motor was connected by a continuous
chain to the winch in the upper hoist house.  Empty coal cars were lowered
down the incline by hand.  A hand lever forced hard wooden brake shoes
against the outer surface of a large steel wheel which was gear connected
to the cable drum."

Best regards,

Randy

--