[CBQ] Re: Ashland Nebraska Coal Chute

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Ashland Nebraska Coal Chute
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:34:31 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I've wondered about the use of idler flats on these big coaling
chutes. When I was a kid, I saw long strings of idlers used by
switchers loading the C&O car ferries on Lake Michigan. That's quite a
grade up to the Ashland dock, though, so would you want to add all
that weight? Or would it matter, if the switcher would be running on
level grade? (but then that would require a LOT of idlers!)

The trestle structure looks plenty sturdy to support an engine,
although repeated hard use might strain it. I've read engineers had to
throw open the throttle and get a running start to push even one
gondola up that grade, then they had to slam on the brakes to prevent
"overshooting" and sending the car flying through the air off the end
of trestle! Do that a bunch of times every day, and it would translate
into a certain amount of structural stress over time, you'd think!

Jonathan

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Jpslhedgpeth@... wrote:

> Tim
>

> At most locations with coal chutes like this one they were just
shoved up by an engine...maybe hanging onto enough cars so that the
engi;ne wouldn't have to go on the "trestlework"..I think also some
had a cable and winch arrangement to pull the cars up.