[CBQ] Columbus, Nebraska and the cattle pens

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Columbus, Nebraska and the cattle pens
From: "larrgra" <larry.graus@opc.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:45:24 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Now they we are back to discussing railroading, I have some questions.
There were cattle pens of considerable extent beside the CB&Q tracks
in Columbus, Nebraska. They were on the north side of the CB&Q tracks
between 16th and 17th Avenues. When were they last used? How many
shipments were made each year? When were they removed? I grew up
nearby, and do not recall ever seeing any cattle there during my
childhood (say 1954 and later). We sometimes played hide and seek
there (but didn't get nailed for trespassing - even though the Q's
depot agent lived within a block thereof).