Re: [CBQ] Re: Coach Yard Thursday 18-Feb-1965

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Coach Yard Thursday 18-Feb-1965
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:41:00 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
That might speak volumes though.  The shorts coach going only so far
as GJ, as well as another.  Which explains why the WP never felt as
comfortable as its partners.  The business between Chicago & Denver
has always been extremely good - even today, going west to east,
there are a lot of Chicago bound passengers picked up in Denver - a
lot of semi-empty seats and a few rooms open between Oakland &
Denver.  But not between Denver & Chicago.

At some point, the pre-war cars had to get their black roofs removed
- yet I've seen photos in the mid 50's at least where (at least) one
still had them.  But at this date, 1965, there were the additional
coaches from the 16 section cars.  I can't remember when the
derailment near GJ happened - it damaged one baggage car and a couple
of other cars.  I'll have to see if I can find it.

It wasn't unusual to see the pre-war cars on the CZ; especially
before 1963-64.  After that, they were typically used for
amplification of the "standard consist".   BTW, being set out at GJ
typically meant the passengers went as far as Glenwood Springs (stop
for Aspen).   The D&RGW occasionally added cars in Denver for that
segment as well, including one of the ex C&O dome coach-obs (made
into a mid-train car by virtue of a diaphragm fitted to the rear end).