Re: [CBQ] Consist of DZ - 1960-1965 era

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Consist of DZ - 1960-1965 era
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:45:25 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The answer is, I guess YES and NO.   Yes, like the California Zephyr
and the TCZ, the Denver Zephyr consist was not "fixed" (depending, of
course, on what is meant by "fixed") in that time period.  In fact,
during that time period, the percentage of "pure" consists was about
30%for the CZ.  Depending on the time of year, the exact year,  etc.
you could see 2 or 3 DZ cars on a given CZ - which obviously means
that the DZ itself was modified.

The second section of the DZ was typically given the front of being
the second section of the CZ.  That way, it could leave before the DZ
from Chicago. (Typically, second sections ran E-W, not (as often) W-E).

Yes, just as on the CZ, the DZ carried other cars from "foreign"
roads.  Curiously, the DZ/CZ second section often had Hill lines cars
in it, something that was unusual in the CZ itself (likely due to the
turnaround).

I would expect the new Passenger Trains book from Four Ways West will
have a few consists, and lots of photos of these operations - I
haven't received mine yet.

At 11:44 PM 9/8/2008, James Schwarz wrote:
>Was the consist of the Denver Zephyr "fixed" for this time frame 1960 -
>1965 (Like the CZ or the TCZ)?
>
>If so, what was the order of the cars? I understand that at heavy
>travel times, there may have been 2 or 3 sections of the train.
>
>Also, did the DZ carry cars from other roads in these extra sections?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Jim Schwarz

Bob Webber