[CBQ] Preservation of Q Diesels

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Preservation of Q Diesels
From: "Tom Mack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:44:04 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
It recently came to my attention there are three ex-CB&Q U28B's left,
all at TTI in Kentucky. Only 1 U28B has been preserved, and ex-L&N
unit that is currently at the Kentucky Railroad Museum. To my
understanding, the TTI units are the last U28B's around outside the
L&N unit.

It would be a shame if we lost all of these ex-Q U28B's, not just from
their CB&Q significance, but also from their significance as examples
of GE locomotive history. It seems at least one could be saved,
possibly to the IRM. Does anyone know the requirements to get a
locomotive saved to the IRM? My understanding is it needs more than
just a purchase, it needs a sponsor of some sort to make sure it has
space allocated, etc. Does anyone know how this works (a la the Q SD24)?

Does anyone have suggestions on how one goes about saving a
locomotive? I would be willing to contact TTI, but it seems to me we
would definitely need to have a home lined up first. I know at one
time the Galesburg Museum was hoping to get an ex-Q unit they could
paint up for display (they were talking about a GP30). Although it
would be nice to have the unit somewhere it could run, the main thing
is making sure we don't wake up one day very soon to find that all the
U28B's sans one are gone, and especially one that could go back into
Chinese Red.

Please let me know your suggestions or whatever experience you might
have. Perhaps we might even solicit the help of the BN fans out there
since the U28B did end up in BN green.

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH