Re: [CBQ] Re:U23C's

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re:U23C's
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:23:51 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
There were actually quite a few things railroads got upset with EMD
over.  And, as many railroads as there were, there are likely some
fairly good apocryphal stories.

The one that is fairly true involves the early E units.  The reason
the D&RGW didn't buy any was the insistence by EMD that they wouldn't
put dynamics in them and the D&RGW was very leery of the traction
motor robustness (actually, ALL of the electrical systems'
robustness).  The D&RGW had the EMD salesman in the office in Burnham
discussing it and the EMD guy kept repeating the "same old lies" -
and the D&RGW guy simply said, "fine, we'll purchase something
else".  The EMD guy didn't believe it, said so, and the D&RGW guy
took him to the window to show him the brand new PAs.  Apocryphal,
but the underlying gist is dead on.  They were simply tired of the
electrical systems and the PAs DID have some of the best traction
motors and the best electrical systems (all GE).  Of course, there
were OTHER problems with them.  But those issues continued for
EMD.  And one thing any railroad man knew about the U-Boats - there
would be no need to worry about electrical systems.  Or so they
thought (just as with any system, focusing on subsystems can really
blind you to the total system's qualities - good and bad).

One of the issues was the EMD tried to squeeze too much horsepower
out of the 547 - and the traction motors.  That one issue was likely
the gate that they left open for GE, and GE drove the U-Boat right
through it.  There comes a point where the reliability of a product
is hurt by attempting to grow it beyond it's capability.  And EMD has
done that more than a few times.  And paid for it more than a few
times.  At times when they should have been perfecting replacements,
they held off way too long, relying instead on attempting to squeeze
a few more steps out of "the old reliable".  Of course, all that is
in hindsight, and hindsight is 20/20.

Any attempt to be critical of such things - whether it be a railroad,
supplier or customer - has to be put into context.  And you have to
look at how the economy was performing at certain critical junctures
for EMD.  And how their order book looked at other
junctures.  Attempting to review their decisions in a vacuum without
looking at that context can provide you with the same false analysis
you might get by simply looking at passenger time tables through the
years.  Yeah, the trains came on and off in the 1890s.  But unless
you realize what completely unsettling events happened in the country
in 1893, your analysis of trains will be, at best, flawed.  The same
would happen if you looked at how the original Burlington Zephyr
affected the railroad, railroads and the country and you didn't
include the Great Depression.