Re: [CBQ] Question about the NIFA Branch in Aurora

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Question about the NIFA Branch in Aurora
From: Aeolus3@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:28:11 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dan,

During that time just north of the tollway, which may have been  Illinois
route 5 at that time remember 1972 the extension to I 80 almost into  Iowa had
yet to open and was probably under construction at the time. I  know when I was
in high school we used to go onto the new tollway and  drag race. North of the
East-West Tollway on the old Aurora Airport  Property there was an auto
distribution center. That bridge is still there  today, but ends at the north
end
of the bridge. For many years there was an old  hanger north of the tollway as
I remember... but the auto distribution center  was on the old Aurora Downs
Horse Racing Property which at one time  was a big amusement park. Called
Exposition Park, in the 1920's it  boasted the largest cement pool in the
world.

As far as I know, Datsun was the only car company that used the  distribution
center. Then later as the property was developed for other industry  the auto
distribution center moved to property east of Eola, between IL  Route 59 and
US Route 34 using what is today the cross street of Liberty Street  on the
Aurora side and Jefferson (?) on the Naperville side. South of the old  Nabisco
Plant on US Route 34, Ogden Ave. At that time believe it or not,  that was out
in the "country"!

Loren Johnson

listings at AOL Autos.