Re: [CBQ] Seniority and Military LOA

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Seniority and Military LOA
From: railbass@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 03:32:39 +0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The Veterans' Reemployment Rights Act of 1940 has been amended many times, but
the basic info is the same.   A veteran who left his job or was unable to begin
a job for which he was selected because of military service was entitled to
return to that job as if he had never left it.   Upon entering military
service, the veteran must have notified his employer that his separation was
for military duty.   This meant that seniority, general pay raises, training,
and other aspects of the job had to be given to the veteran upon his return -
in effect, all pay and benefits he would have received in continuous
employment.   The military service could be no longer than five years, either
by voluntary enlistment or selective service, and concluded by other than
dishonorable discharge.   The veteran must apply for reemployment in a timely
manner and be reemployed promptly.   The veteran had to be further protected
against discharge, except for cause, for up to one year after reemployment.

I worked for the Veterans Administration (Department of Veterans Affairs) for
20 years and served 22 years in the Army and Army Reserve, so that this was an
issue on which I was involved in numerous occasions.   The government has been
quite effective in carrying out the mandates of this particular law.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

From: "chuck hatler" <charles.hatler@sbcglobal.net>
It's been several years since I was in the service, but as I recall, at some
point congress had passed a law that mandated that any employee of any
company had to be rehired after a tour of military duty. I am sure there
are qualifiers on this, but that is the gist of it. I think the employee
had 30 days after separation to reclaim his job. There were several folks
around Great Falls who went off to Viet Nam and came back to work for the GN
with an extra two, three, or four years of seniority on the list.

Chuck Hatler

KC MO