[CBQ] Re: LaGrange Interlocking Tower

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: LaGrange Interlocking Tower
From: "Rory Murchison" <murchi209@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:21:31 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Charlie, any chance of getting those scans please?

Thank you!

         Rory
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@...> wrote:

> I have a couple of pictures of the Congress Park tower that I could
(eventually) scan and post in the files section if it would be of
interest.
> Also determined that the ruling grade on the Q (probably east of
the Mississippi) was, prior to about 1890, the run up the hill from
then
> West Grossdale to LaGrange (State Road, now LaGrange Road).   When
the predecessor to the IHB built to Congress Park the Q raised
> the tracks in front of the station (which had been at street level
grade) so by the time the Q reached the foot of the former grade it
crossed
> the Belt tracks (which were depressed maybe 3 feet), thus reducing
the grade a great deal.   Later,  (probably during the 20's when the
> pedestrian subway was added and the entire front of the station was
demolished due to a derailment) the tracks were raised another 3-4
feet
> to accomodate taller equipment which is where it is today.   The
IHB has been further undercut to allow auto racks and stack trains to
clear