[CBQ] BREX Wood Sheathed Reefers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] BREX Wood Sheathed Reefers
From: "Tom Mack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:32:49 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The following appeared on the BBFCL Yahoo group. Very interesting,
albeit large document. Since it deals with BREX, I know many will be
interested in it. I had trouble downloading from the Pennsy Keystone
site (kept telling me file was corrupt when I tried to open it) and
the B&O site (could only find a link to the document by opening the
latest issue, then the link did not work). I had no trouble at all
with the SCL site. It downloads pretty fast via high speed connection.

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

1. TKM/TB&OM/TS-CLM Project - FGEX/BREX/WFEX Wood Sheathed Reefers
    Posted by: "benjaminfrank_hom" b.hom@worldnet.att.net
benjaminfrank_hom
    Date: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:45 pm ((PST))

I didn't have a chance to make a formal annoucement for this project,
but for those who might have missed it, Bill Welch's handout "The Wood
Sheathed Cars of the FGEX/WFEX/BREX Freight Refrigerator Fleet:
1940-1953" is now available as a special combined issue of The
Keystone Modeler, The B&O Modeler, and The Seaboard-Coast Line Modeler:
http://www.prrths.com/Keystone%20Modeler/Keystone_Modeler.htm
http://borhs.org/ModelerMag/index.html
http://s-clmodeler.aclsal.org/index.htm

The cutoff date is before the era of interest of this group, but many
of these ice reefers survived into the 1960s, so this is still very
useful information.

This is a 10MB file - if you are on a slow connection, I recommend you
download the file by right clicking on the link for the issue at the
pages above and selecting "Save Target as" instead of clicking on the
link.

Credit must go where credit is due.  Thank you, Bill Welch, for
allowing us to publish your work for a wide audience.  Thanks also go
to the editorial staffs of each publication for their willingness to
sponsor this project as a special issue; Nick Fry of the Baltimore and
Ohio Railroad Historical Society, Jay Williams of Big Four Graphics,
and Rob Schoenberg for permission to use prototype photos for this
special issue, and to Al Westerfield for providing excerpts from the
July 1950 and January 1955 ORER.  Special thanks go to Tom Madden, who
took the time and effort to reconstitute this document electronically
using OCR software after the original files were lost in a computer
crash several years ago.

If you are a fan of one of the FGEX/BREX/WFEX member roads, please
spread the word and share the links to the issue with your friends.
This is one of the gaping holes in our collective knowledge, and the
impact of Bill's is widespread.  Every piece of information that we
can gather for Bill is critical, because unlike PFE and SFRD, the
corporate records of the consortium were not saved, making this task
much more difficult.

Ben Hom