[CBQ] Re: Deadwood Branch

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Deadwood Branch
From: "Andy Roth" <darlaroth@insightbb.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:10:02 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hello,
Does anyone have the history as to why the branch line was
abandoned.  Did the BN give up on the business?  Did the BN price
themselves out of the market or did the customers switch to other
means (trucks and/or getting electrical power from a different power
plant)

Also, they kept service to Custer for three more years, I assume for
the mica and /or feldspar traffic.  Does anyone also have information
about this traffic?  I have the 1977 BN Annual with the article on
the branchline, but no information on the line after that year.

Who were the last customers on the line?  I know there was and still
is a sawmill at Hill City.

Sincerely,
Andy Roth