[CBQ] Re:Ballast color

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Ballast color
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@macnexus.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 07:55:52 -0800
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Slag ballast was gray only when fresh, but in use it rapidly
accumulated a coating of stains, dirt, etc. that covered each piece
with a uniform medium rusty brown color.

I recently examined and compared real-time samples of used slag and
limestone ballasts (both ballasts mined from ancient debris pushed
off a near-Chicago CBQ embankment). Although you could readily
discern the limestone from the slag by weight alone, in addition to
the angular shapes of the limestone, and the softer outlines of the
slag, in fact at arms length, both looked identical in their rusty
coloration.

I took some of this real slag ballast and pulverized it with a
hammer, in the process of which the underlying uniform medium gray
color was uncovered- identical to the "slag" model ballast produced
by Smith & Sons (Scenery Express).

What did I then do with the pulverized "real ballast"?  Some has
already been applied to my HO trackwork. The remaining will be
applied to the trackwork in front of my Riverside depot.

To get it to its "in use" color, all the slag ballast will be
thoroughly washed with coats of thinned Floquil Rust.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento