Re: [CBQ] caboose?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] caboose?
From: "Rupert & Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 18:46:20 +1200
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John

This car  ("coach" with 7 windows) was the subject of slide #18 in the BRHS
MoW slide set.  It is described as "Bunk car former boarding car and B&MR
engineering car".    This photo was taken at Casper in October 1963.

The relabelling and renumbering of subsidiaries' cars (including B&MR) to
CB&Q  was undertaken between 1904 and 1908.   The B&MR had 36 boarding cars
in MoW service numbered A1-A36.  The fact that it was used by B&MR as an
engineering car after it had been a boarding car suggests that it was one of
the early cars. However, the September 1904 ORER shows that all 36 boarding
cars were still on the roster!

211239 does not appear in Bill Glick's Passenger Car Roster book listing of
passenger cars converted to MoW use, which seems to support this non-Q /
non-passenger heritage. The allocated number doesn't really help date the
car as the number block 200000-211525 first appeared in 1904 and the next
block - 211526-214002 - doesn't appear until 1907.

Hope this helps

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ