[CBQ] Re: N Scale Exposition Flyer

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: N Scale Exposition Flyer
From: "Michal Basta" <nn3@mikrolok.cz>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 21:53:51 +0100
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bob,

> Well, again, it depends on your tolerance.

Exactly, that always depends on one's personal tolerance!

> If it is truly what is termed a "Harriman" car (a misnomer as it should be
> "Common Standard" ) then it has no built up center sill, it has an arched
> (oval) roof from end to end, with the roof plates perpendicular to the
> sides from end to end, and the plates overlapping on an even/odd basis.

The kit  mentioned by Jerry seems just to be side etchings, so probably no
roof nor underframe.

> No
> D&RGW car had a "Harriman roof", no D&RGW coach had an arched roof.  The
> D&RGW coaches that appear to have an arched roof have a roof that is a
> clerestory version that is sheathed into a very much shallower arch (in
> fact the top is not arched, but is the same as the clerestory).

Ouch, I always thought the former D&SL cars did have the arched rooves. So
they didn't.... thanks! (Or perhabs if you talk on D&RGW, you do mean the
pre-merger one, not counting  in the D&SL stock taken over?)

> Again, it depends on tolerances, but that isn't anywhere close in my book.
>
> It may be close to a WP car, I'd have to look at it.  But the WP cars were
> not Common Standard cars, they were a UP design that was modified to suit
> the WP.  Therefore it had a built up (Pullman) centersill and other items
> of note.  Again, it depends on your tolerance.

Seems I'm perhabs very intolerant guy ;-) as in my eyes these etchings don't
match the DRGW nor WP coach close enough to be the kitbash worth (and I hate
to shave out unwanted details out of etchings :-(

> What I would like to see is passenger car modeling tolerance like that of
> freight cars - where the ends, underframe and roof actually matter.

But what about Duryea cushioned underframe with couplers distinctively
sticking out? Just curious, how many frt car models with them did you ever
seen?!

>  Add to that the method of building each side, and you have a much better
> ability to get closer to prototype.  If all we're going to do is settle
> for stand ins, we'll not get what the freight car community has now.
> People have, I think, learned not to say roof walk.

Okay Bob, consider this: As for the DRGW 1230-1 Nscale project, being both
RGMHS Society and
RGMHS_group_at_yahoo member, I'm avare of it and greatly appreciate effort
of anyone involved in it. Hovever reasons why I didn't order the sides for
myself are as follows: 1. models of the same prototype or of the same type
of prototypes made by different manufacturers just do not match each other,
they do look like models of two different things (Examples from N: mixed
loco consist of  Kato and IMRC F7s just does look weird, as is the case of
mix of MT and IMRC FTs), so, unless there would be whole line of PS DRGW
cars by one manufacturer, the Prospector or Royal Gorge consist would just
look weird. 2. The corrugation does have the very sophisticated profile, so
to make good-looking corrugation (especially the large one) just by etching
or CNC milling process (unless one does use very special profile bits) is
very difficult if ever possible, IMHO. (Injected
styrene or precisely cast resin would be better option, but of course the
first is price-prohibitive in our case and the second at least tricky,
because of need of: I) making or obtaining the right corrugation to make the
original from  II) moulding precise enough incl. avoiding deformations and
III) avoiding shrinkage of the mold - and castings)
    So, my very own way to get my own PS DRGW cars in Nscale is as
follows:
I acquired 12+ of the old Rowa cars, turned new bolsters for Kato PS trucks
on
my lathe , did let CNC-mill accurate styrene plugs for window openings and
also still need to CNC-mill various types/widths of the baggage/RPO doors.
The rest is just cutting openings for new windows/doors and cross-kitbash of
various sections of these carbodies (and interriors) and adding some
details. That said, after 1+ year effort have 5 cars ready for the
paintshop, but having very slow "modeling productivity" myself I do not
expect to have the rest finished sooner than after another 2+ years ;-).
    And yes, for example, I can live with obsolete (now blank)  C&O
off-center carnumber-boards, at least for now ;-)

Michal B.