[CBQ] N Scale Exposition Flyer

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] N Scale Exposition Flyer
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 22:24:42 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Well, again, it depends on your tolerance.  If it is truly what is
termed a "Harriman" car (a misnomer as it should be "Common Standard"
) then it has no built up center sill, it has an arched (oval) roof
from end to end, with the roof plates perpendicular to the sides from
end to end, and the plates overlapping on an even/odd basis.  No
D&RGW car had a "Harriman roof", no D&RGW coach had an arched
roof.  The D&RGW coaches that appear to have an arched roof have a
roof that is a clerestory version that is sheathed into a very much
shallower arch (in fact the top is not arched, but is the same as the
clerestory). Again, it depends on tolerances, but that isn't anywhere
close in my book.

It may be close to a WP car, I'd have to look at it.  But the WP cars
were not Common Standard cars, they were a UP design that was
modified to suit the WP.  Therefore it had a built up (Pullman)
centersill and other items of note.  Again, it depends on your tolerance.

What I would like to see is passenger car modeling tolerance like
that of freight cars - where the ends, underframe and roof actually
matter.  Add to that the method of building each side, and you have a
much better ability to get closer to prototype.  If all we're going
to do is settle for stand ins, we'll not get what the freight car
community has now.  People have, I think, learned not to say roof walk.