Re: [CBQ] Re: Paint & Decals for E-Units

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Paint & Decals for E-Units
From: Robert MANLEY <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:57:59 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul,
Nice fodoz , the E's  look great.
When I use Polyscale I dilute with Isopropyl Alcohol, same as you used for
stripping. Usually the silver family doesn't need much thinner if it is a fresh
bottle. Some shops move paint faster than others, so be careful. Anything other
than a alcohol based thinner gives you nasty silver salad dressing. Oil and
water don't mix. The last few hobby shops I stopped at didn't have any N-scale
E sets. Decals in general are becoming as hard to find as CB&Q reporting marks
in a train these days.

You brought up a good point about having to cut and space lettering to match a
prototype fodo. I do it all the time. I never take a decal manufacturer's
product verbatim. I have been a printer for 25 years and started out doing
pasteup the old way so I am highly critical of type. Font, height, letterspace,
word space all all contribute to well detailed model and can ruin the best of
paint jobs if not done correctly. There are those who say it's just a hobby and
it's meant to be fun but remember we model the Q. It ain't fun, it's hard work.
We are preserving mechanical history in miniature and our road deserves it.

About the skirts, I'll look in my B&Ws and see whatI have. They should have had
them originally. Skirts and nose grabs and other appliances depend on the year
and the number. Sometimes these were part of an on-going upgrade that was done
when the unit came in for major or scheduled repairs. So again, find a photo
and work from it. Don't forget to check out the Q stuff on the Fallen Flags
website, he has been a great source of modeling inspiration.