Re: [CBQ] Re: Concord IL to East Alton IL

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Concord IL to East Alton IL
From: Stan Maddox <stan.maddox@burlingtongulf.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:20:55 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thanks for the information, Bob. Good stuff. OK, so the line in
Chapin was abandoned before 1975. That narrows it down a bit. Does
anyone have a copy of the last CB&Q timetable or other documentation
that might show if the line was still in operation at the time of the
BN merger? Or, did the Burlington Bulletin document line abandonments
the way many other RR historical societies did?

It might be that the line between Concord and somewhere south of what
is now I-72 was abandoned first, so they wouldn't have to waste money
building an overpass. They could still run northward from East St.
Louis if needed, similar to the way the Jack Line remained intact
from Jacksonville to Ashland for many years to serve the FS
dealership there. However, this is all pure speculation, and I don't
want to pollute the thread with guesswork. Any info regarding when
and how the line was abandoned (all at once or in segments) would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Stan Maddox