[CBQ] C&S U30C Model

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] C&S U30C Model
From: railbass@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:14:08 +0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
It's unbelievable what can happen if you look closely, as I experienced
something great last week that I didn't expect at all.   I was in a hobby shop
in Greeley and looked into their clearance bin.   I found two Atlas HO U33C
models at about 1/4 their list price, so I picked them up, thinking the Q must
have had some.   Today I looked in my copy of Ed Fulcomer's Colorado & Southern
- Southern Division Color Pictorial and found that C&S bought four U30Cs -
890-893 - in the summer of 1968.   The major difference between the U30C and
the U33C/U36C was a narrower radiator housing on the back of the long hood.   I
also found that Atlas has made a U30C model, and the body shells are available
as a spare part.   From the photos, I can see that the Atlas body has the
central air intake screen for engine air mounted near the walkway rather than
up near the radiator housing as C&S units were.   The Atlas radiator housing
does not have the angled fairing at the front.   My main question now
is that Atlas offers body shells in phase II and III.   Which would be more
accurate for the C&S units, which are early U30Cs?   It looks as if I will have
to do some kitbashing to make an accurate model.   The June 1996 issue of Model
Railroader has plans for the U30C, so I will have to dig my copy out of a box.
 Has anyone else modeled the C&S U30C?   Since I live in Denver, the C&S is my
main Q interest, and these models will be great for my C&S collection.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO