[CBQ] Re: Exposition Flyer in N scale - CB&Q cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Exposition Flyer in N scale - CB&Q cars
From: "Michal Basta" <nn3@mikrolok.cz>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:57:07 +0100
Cc: <N-scaleVarnish@yahoogroups.com>
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hello Bob again,

> In modeling the Exposition Flyer in any scale or on ay railroad, the
> first thing you must do (as with any passenger train) is to determine
> the era and the season you plan to model.  The consists changed
> markedly due to seasonal needs and throughout the years.  The CZ
> equipment would have been available only in the last year and a half
> (for instance).  After determining time then you have to determine
> location.  The train changed consist from coast to coast, not all
> cars ran the entire trip.  Unlike the CZ, the diners (for example)
> did not typically go from Chicago to Oakland.  Nor did the coaches
> (all of them anyway, some did).  Baggage cars (and other head end
> cars such as GATX express reefers, express boxes and the like)
> changed considerably depending on where the train happened to
> be.  Too, the observation would not typically go the whole
> route.  Again, this is very dependant upon year and season.

Yes I'm avare of all that! As for location, I intend to model the Expo as
appeared on the DRGW portion of the ride. As for the rest, my approach is
first to determine, what models are available and which cars are most easy
to kitbash and then determine which consist (time period, year season and
the like) can be modeled by those cars.

> The pre-war Budd CB&Q cars were seen on the CZ, when there, they were
> in the position immediately following the baggage car.  Note that
> again, this is a seasonal and era question.

Thanks but note that I'm avare of all that and my CZ question was just an
aside. The bottom line was which Budd cars from the old Budd Kato sets I
need to keep and which to part with because of no use for Expo/CZ on DRGW.

> These cars would not
> have been assigned to the CZ on anything other than a tour, charter
> or other such special movement.

..or emergency substitution when particular CZ car was badordered. Exactly
that I had on mind.

> The CB&Q home built domes did show up on the Expo, rarely (if ever)
> on the CZ.   Again, they would be there as part of a charter or tour
> - not to replace CZ equipment (unless there was an emergency and that
> was the only thing left).  The home-builts had some characteristics
> that made them less comfortable for long distance travel.

Thanks, but what about the Q Budd 1947 dome coaches (similar to CZ ones but
different window pattern)?
(As for CZ I do mean case of emergency)

> I know next to nothing about what is available in N - Charlie would
> be far more knowledgeable.  I don't know if a semi-accurate 10-1-1 or
> 8-5 would be available in N (for example).

As for HW Pullman sleepers, everything I would like to know is which types
were assigned to (which I hope to find in Burlington Bulletin #42 on the
Expo). It's my understanding many plans of different Pullman HW sleepers can
downloaded somewhere in the web. As for Nscale, the only available is the
12-1 by RivaRossi and then some others by Pecos River Brass, very hard to
get. But to kitbash RR 12-1 into something else by just transplanting and
mixing sections of its carsides up is not that difficult. There might be
also new models by MicroTrains in near future.....
    One question though: did appear the very distinctive semi-skirted
betterment Tower series 8-3-1s  on Expo or CZ?

> I am certain that there is no MT. MOUNT or PEAK car available - nor
> anything really too close.  That would be the most difficult thing to
> add for a DRGW segment train.  No one makes anything close to the
> DRGW rebuilt 1910 coaches either, a regular fixture on the
> train.

Unlike Q and WP cars I know next to nothing  about (that's the reason I
asked ;-), I'm familiar with DRGW rolling stock and have some ideas how to
kitbash any of DRGW cars already - see my other e-mail - so no issue there
;-)

> The WP equipment is often referred to as Harriman or
> Harriman-copies, but they were niether.  The underframe, roof and
> side panels are the obvious indications that they weren't.  The WP
> diners were about the ugliest on earth with the addition of A/C and I
> don't really see anyone making those.  Another difficult part would
> be in finding the Pullmans assigned to the train (and again, that
> changed seasonally and by year).  Finding 8-5s, 10-1-1s, 8-1-2s,
> 10-1-2s, MT.series 10-L-Obs, the Solarium Q lounges, the Solarium WP
> lounges, and the right baggage cars are going to be difficult if not
> impossible at this point.

Yes, that was my original point: How to model (kitbash perhabs) the Q & WP
cars which appeared on the D&RGW portion of the Expo ride.

> But model railroading is all about compromise.  An Expo with a CZ
> baggage (Kato), a 12-1 acting as a 13 section dorm, a couple of CZ
> dome coaches (Kato), a pre-war diner (Kato?  Con Cor?), and what ever
> HW Pullmans might be found would make a reasonable late Expo.  Or you
> can always to the Advanced Expo which a lot of the times had more LW
> equipment and at other times was a dog's breakfast of cars.

Sorry for the dumb question: did the Advanced Expo appear on DRGW rails as
well, or was that solely the Q thing?

> Other LW Q equipment found on the CZ (depending on year, season and
> reason) that weren't built for the CZ include the Flower cars (used
> as dorms right behind the baggage car) when in conjunction with a KZ
> dome lounge (which didn't have the dorm space required and on the CZ
> Dome-lounge-dorm), just about any class of LW baggage (but except for
> TREASURE and the Havelock cars, more rarely),  coaches (both pre and
> post ware), 10-6s, (and at times, the Q owned NP & GN painted
> sleepers),

Any of the NR or GN ones available in Nscale? (Charlie, are you listening?)
It's also my understanding the PRR Budd 10-6 might be sometimes substituted
by PRR maroon PS (or ACF) 10-6. Right/wrong?

> rarely non-CZ (or their near clones) diners,

Like the Silver Spoon?

> VERY rarely
> non-CZ domes obs - after 1952 there were a couple used as "spares"

What about  (non-dome) obs. Silver Fountain - before 1952?

> (in reality making a lot of miles on the Q in various
> routes).  Models?  Charlie would have to address it (or someone else
> familiar with N scale).
>
> A host of non-CB&Q cars could also be seen on the CZ - again,
> typically in charter, tour or special service.

Any of them available in Nscale? (Charlie?)   The only one I'm avare of so
far is the PS C&O 10-6 sleeper...
Well, my last question should be read as well: Which prototypes (of non-Q
cars available in Nscale) did appear on CZ in charter, tour or special
service?

Many thanks again for very comprehensive reply!

Michal B.