[CBQ] Re: Expo Flyer in N scale - WP cars

To: <wplist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Expo Flyer in N scale - WP cars
From: "Michal Basta" <nn3@mikrolok.cz>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:40:34 +0100
Cc: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>, <N-scaleVarnish@yahoogroups.com>
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bob:

thanks for your reply.  However it seems I need to refine my question.
    As for D&RGW non-CZ passenger cars, (sorry for little off WP topic
detour), yes, I'm avare there's no correct Nscale model (I'm mostly into
DRGW, BTW). But, painting&lettering aside, there are at least 2 correct LW
body styles: Rowa PS coach and Rowa PS sleeper (okay, to DRGW-ize that car
one must modify the interrior insert on the open-section end). But those
ROWA cars are good starting point to model other LW PS cars - just to plug
out some existing windows, cut opening for new windows a.s.o (been there,
done that - some of them just do wait for the paint job).
    As for DRGW HWs, again, one can at least kitbash fair representation of
some cars. I for myself do the snandard drgw HW coach by adding RivaRossi
coach vestibules to Lima coach body (needle-file top of restroom windows
round) with Bachmann (or Athearn) 4-wheel pass. truck (roof modified either
Lima or RivaRossi, depends of era of the particular prototype). Allthough
such car probably doesn't have the most perfect rivet pattern, when you look
to running train from 3' apart, you might at least have feel you see the
correct Grande HW coach. Similarly for DRGW HW diners: Get the RivaRossi
diner, on the kitchen end move the utility door on the aisle side forward,
the insert 4th window (cannibalized from another RR diner) and so on.
(Gladly admitting to model modernized coaches will be more complex -
considering to use the HW sides inside-out - to get rid of the rivet
pattern, it seems also the Kato RDC window inserts would fit just well - to
model the large sealed windows).

    As for WP HWs, I'm far less knowledgeable, but I suspected there's just
no model of too. But I hoped someone kitbashed them already (perhabs in HO -
the technique for N may be simiular) and would like to share the "recipe"
(something like my recipe on DRGW HW coach above ;-), or that perhabs there
are any etched car side kit I'm not yet avare of?

    As for WP coach for very particular: Bob, you actually do confirm my
feeling the WofT Harriman coaches do look for WP somehow wrong! Besides
windows and roof profile, wasn't the WP prototype significantly longer as
well? (can't check myself, being still out of town)
    What about that kitbash idea: RivaRossi coach body with Lima vestibules
(doors w. large windows), scratchbuilt roof, Bachmann or Athearn 4-wheel
trucks?

Regards,
Michal B.

1. Expo Flyer in N scale
    Posted by: "Bob Webber" rgz17@comcast.net rsgrzw
    Date: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:02 am ((PST))

There have been more pre-war Budd cars built in N scale than any other.

Just as a reminder, none of the WP cars were Harriman or Harriman
clones.  The structure, roof, underframe, sides and ends are different.

Squinting is not needed for determining passenger cars, whether HW or
LW - it just requires a predilection towards them and some basic
knowledge.  You can pick out cars on most photographs by looking for
tell-tale features of given cars.  Not unlike you can tell the
differences in freight cars, cabooses and diesels - if you are
interested enough in them and know some simple sighting features.

No one makes correct D&RGW cars in HO or in N scale.  They make some
Pullmans and leased express reefers that were assigned to the
railroad, but (except for brass in HO) no cars are correct for the
(non-CZ) D&RGW.  Some are closer than others (like the Walthers 52
seat chair car - which is a C&O car, not a D&RGW car).  But most are
VERY far apart.