[CBQ] Exposition Flyer in N scale

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Exposition Flyer in N scale
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:57:48 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In modeling the Exposition Flyer in any scale or on ay railroad, the
first thing you must do (as with any passenger train) is to determine
the era and the season you plan to model.  The consists changed
markedly due to seasonal needs and throughout the years.  The CZ
equipment would have been available only in the last year and a half
(for instance).  After determining time then you have to determine
location.  The train changed consist from coast to coast, not all
cars ran the entire trip.  Unlike the CZ, the diners (for example)
did not typically go from Chicago to Oakland.  Nor did the coaches
(all of them anyway, some did).  Baggage cars (and other head end
cars such as GATX express reefers, express boxes and the like)
changed considerably depending on where the train happened to
be.  Too, the observation would not typically go the whole
route.  Again, this is very dependant upon year and season.

The pre-war Budd CB&Q cars were seen on the CZ, when there, they were
in the position immediately following the baggage car.  Note that
again, this is a seasonal and era question.  These cars would not
have been assigned to the CZ on anything other than a tour, charter
or other such special movement.

The CB&Q home built domes did show up on the Expo, rarely (if ever)
on the CZ.   Again, they would be there as part of a charter or tour
- not to replace CZ equipment (unless there was an emergency and that
was the only thing left).  The home-builts had some characteristics
that made them less comfortable for long distance travel.  \

I know next to nothing about what is available in N - Charlie would
be far more knowledgeable.  I don't know if a semi-accurate 10-1-1 or
8-5 would be available in N (for example).

I am certain that there is no MT. MOUNT or PEAK car available - nor
anything really too close.  That would be the most difficult thing to
add for a DRGW segment train.  No one makes anything close to the
DRGW rebuilt 1910 coaches either, a regular fixture on the
train.  The WP equipment is often referred to as Harriman or
Harriman-copies, but they were niether.  The underframe, roof and
side panels are the obvious indications that they weren't.  The WP
diners were about the ugliest on earth with the addition of A/C and I
don't really see anyone making those.  Another difficult part would
be in finding the Pullmans assigned to the train (and again, that
changed seasonally and by year).  Finding 8-5s, 10-1-1s, 8-1-2s,
10-1-2s, MT.series 10-L-Obs, the Solarium Q lounges, the Solarium WP
lounges, and the right baggage cars are going to be difficult if not
impossible at this point.

But model railroading is all about compromise.  An Expo with a CZ
baggage (Kato), a 12-1 acting as a 13 section dorm, a couple of CZ
dome coaches (Kato), a pre-war diner (Kato?  Con Cor?), and what ever
HW Pullmans might be found would make a reasonable late Expo.  Or you
can always to the Advanced Expo which a lot of the times had more LW
equipment and at other times was a dog's breakfast of cars.

Other LW Q equipment found on the CZ (depending on year, season and
reason) that weren't built for the CZ include the Flower cars (used
as dorms right behind the baggage car) when in conjunction with a KZ
dome lounge (which didn't have the dorm space required and on the CZ
Dome-lounge-dorm), just about any class of LW baggage (but except for
TREASURE and the Havelock cars, more rarely),  coaches (both pre and
post ware), 10-6s, (and at times, the Q owned NP & GN painted
sleepers), rarely non-CZ (or their near clones) diners, VERY rarely
non-CZ domes obs - after 1952 there were a couple used as "spares"
(in reality making a lot of miles on the Q in various
routes).  Models?  Charlie would have to address it (or someone else
familiar with N scale).

A host of non-CB&Q cars could also be seen on the CZ - again,
typically in charter, tour or special service.

At 08:02 AM 11/27/2007, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:

>5. CB&Q cars of Exposition Flyer in Nscale
>     Posted by: "Michal Basta" nn3@mikrolok.cz mikrolok
>     Date: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:35 pm ((PST))
>
>Hello group,
>
>new meber here. Allthough I'm listening here for awhile, this is my first
>post to this group.
>     I would like to model the Expo (as it appeared on D&RGW part of the
>ride) in Nscale and seeking any usefull idea, advice a.s.o. how to model the
>CB&Q cars of the Expo, especially the heavyweight ones.
>Anyone tried it already?
>Any idea regarding kitbashing, cross-kitbashing, brass sides, resin
>castings, whatever?
>
>     As an aside, regarding the Budd cars, it's my understanding there
>sometimes appeared in the consist of Expo at least those cars:
>- Budd pre-war coach (Nscale: Kato)
>- Budd CZ baggage
>- Budd CZ dome
>- Budd CZ 10/6 1948 sleeper
>     As for other Budd cars,
>- might the observation Silver Fountain (and the likes) appear in Expo
>consist?
>- Might the baggage Silver Light appear in a consist of Expo or CZ?
>- Might the diner Silver Spoon (Inn, Pheasant) appear in a consist of Expo
>or CZ?
>- Might any of the 1947 dome coaches (Silver Island and the likes) appear in
>a consist of Expo or CZ?
>- Might the Budd pre-war coach appear in CZ consist on  the DRGW?
>- Which else lightweight Q car might appear in a consist of Expo or CZ on
>DRGW?    Any Nscale models of them?   (Of course not counting the 1952 10/6
>nor 6/5 CZ sleepers nor conversion of 16sect. CZ sleepers into coaches ;-)
>
>Too many questions, I know....
>
>Thanks and regards,
>
>Michal B.
>D&RGW in Nn3 & N,
>Prague, Czech Republic
>
>P.S. Yes I have the Burlington Bulletin on Expo, but I'm somewhat confused
>by all these connecting trains and the likes.....regarding what might appear
>in Expo consist on DRGW rails...

Bob Webber