Re: [CBQ] CZ

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CZ
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 07:21:21 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I remember that picture and my impression was the dome was a home-built dome,
probably the Silver Dome.  I agree that the picture was probably taken from the
Exposition Flyer.

Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net> wrote:          It was likely a photo of the
Expo taken pre-CZ days, when the dome
coaches were used and often times they were the only streamlined cars
in consist. Another, less likely possibility is that it is one of
the infamous "2nd sections" of the CZ (which were actually 1st
sections of the DZ but they couldn't name them that as they wanted to
launch them on ahead of the DZ TT). Some of those were dog's
breakfasts in terms of cars used - whatever could be found wherever
the train was made up or taken apart - including a run from Denver to
Glenwood Springs for ski tours. But, I would say the first
explanation is far more likely. Unfortunately, Railroad magazine in
that period was somewhat like some Challenger publications (Air
Classics and Sea Classics) - that had (and continue to have)
extremely poor editing and worse captions.

At 08:51 AM 11/20/2007, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:
>5a. CZ
> Posted by: "Rupert & Maureen" gamlenz@ihug.co.nz gamlenz
> Date: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:41 pm ((PST))
>
>I've been given some old Railroad magazines. In the February 1974
>issue, to celebrate the CZ's 25th Anniversary, is a photo taken on
>the D&RGW from the dome of the first car showing two heavyweight
>cars ahead of it. One car appears to be an RPO and the other
>appears to be a coach. I can't recollect seeing a photo of the CZ
>with two heavyweight cars. Comments?
>
>Just in passing, in the May 1975 issue is a photo taken in the dome
>of a CZ observation car showing the carpet rather than the usual
>views. If anyone wants more information, contact me off list.
>

>Rupert Gamlen
>Auckland NZ

Bob Webber