Re: [CBQ] Re: Interlocking tower locations

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Interlocking tower locations
From: "Russ Strodtz" <borneo@19main.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:32:31 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John,

The main freight business in and out of Winona was handled
by the C&NW. The CB&Q interchanged with the C&NW, CGW, and
CMStP&P at Winona. They had a depot there because they had
traffic there. Winona also handled the revenue billing for
some of the stations across the river.

There is still a couple of hundred feet of ex CB&Q trackage
in Winona and it involves a couple of switches that are used
by others. While the Winona Bridge Company has been abandoned
the only trackage they owned was on the bridge and a very short
section on the Winona side. It included one switch. Both the
GB&W and CB&Q had their own yards in Winona. The C&NW had a
rather large yard, the CMStP&P had virtually no yard at all.

There once was a tower at the C&NW crossing. Was told that it
at one time was called "Miner". When the CMStP&P abandoned
it's pontoon bridge at Read's Landing they obtained trackage
rights over the CB&Q from Winona to Trevino. It was decided
that they needed a crossover just East of Trevino and the
station name "Miner" got re-used for that location. There was
a tower at Trevino and it's foundation is still there. CTC
at Trevino/Mears was handled by Pepin, North La Crosse, then
Galesburg, and now Fort Worth.

Russ