[CBQ] Shower in drawing room( was Looking for an impossible photo of "Si

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Shower in drawing room( was Looking for an impossible photo of "Silver Sky")
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:17:57 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
My understanding was that the shower was added after the cars went into service
in 1949.  Am I correct in this?

  I was impressed when I saw the arrangement in the Silver Crescent when I
toured the car in Wheatridge, CO, when it was owned by the Harmsens.  Basically
the whole stainless steel toilet area with sink functioned as a shower stall, a
nice example of efficient use of limited space.

  sjl

hjebone <stu5632@everestkc.net> wrote:
          As the man said in the South Pacific in WWII: "The difficult we do
right now, the impossible takes a little longer."

My colleague or myself may have a pic of this section of one of the
other cars in the series while riding the Texas Chief on Amtrak, but
it might take a few days to scrounge up. They were all identical.
Even after Amtrak redid the Penthouse, et al, the showers still
worked in the Drawing Rooms.

We rode on the RGZ in the early 70s, before the change was made. As
built and for a time on the RGZ, the layout was thus, from the
vestibule end into the car:

A short service area adjacent to the vestibule, then a dogleg to the
right as you walked through the car toward the obs end. Hallway was
on the fireman's side. ISTR, the 3 compartments came first, and the
drawing room, which still had a working shower on the Amtrak version.
Then the steps down past the dome, and on your left would be a small
buffet-lounge directly under the dome, then up a couple steps into
the observation lounge, with the dome stairs at your left shoulder.
Then the semi-circular lounge obs area. In lieu of the photo, this
is the best I can do on short notice. Stay tuned!

hjebone