Re: [CBQ] Re: Proto E-unit decaling

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Proto E-unit decaling
From: Aeolus3@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:43:36 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
One thing to remember about the Q E's, E-7 and E-8's not all of them had  the
stainless steel side panels. I believe all the E-9's were delivered with the
panels. Thus you can mix the Proto painted E's with the Broadway stainless
steel  E's and it would be fine.

In my fleet of E's I have 4 E's that don't have the stainless steel. Two  7's
and two 8's. Which perhaps maybe a bit sad since the fleet is consisted of
Oriental Limited E's that are all the "CB&Q" version and were finished in
nickel silver to simulate the stainless steel. For example last night I scanned
few slides from 1964, they were photos of the September 1964 wreck at
Montgomery IL, the 4th E, an E-8 didn't have the side panels. I don't know off
hand
which number, since I haven't gotten into color correction, I just scanned
them.

If it is still available from the BRHS Company Store the E Unit Burlington
Bulletin (#10?) has a list of the E's that didn't receive the stainless steel
side panels.

One thing I've always hoped for would be Hol would expand on the E Unit
Bulletin. The Burlington Bulletins have always been an outstanding publication.

As Editor Hol Wagner over the many years has produced the best railroad
historical society publication of any railroad HS. The BRHS is lucky to have
contributors to the Bulletin as well as writers such as Hol, Mike Spoor, Dave
Lotz,
Ed DeRouin, and so many others that I can't think of this morning. Putting
in a plug for Ed DeRouin's new book, Moving Mail and Express by Rail, this is a
 must have resource for any modeler interested in the working side of
passenger  trains.

Loren Johnson