[CBQ] Re:Color of cab interior of E7,E8&E9

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Color of cab interior of E7,E8&E9
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:27:21 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rodney,

EMD's standard cab interior color in those days was called "suede
grey". It was also used inside the engine rooms. In later years,
pastel greens and tans have been used (I think SP first specified the
pastel green while tan was a standard color used, post CB&Q). As for
the seats, they were most likely black as that also was a standard,
but brown was also common. Unless the customer specified otherwise,
sometimes at optional cost, EMD would apply the standard interior
colors. Those were part of the basic package without extra cost.
Usually, extra cost paint involved specific brands or formulations
that had a higher purchase cost or required additional work or
equipment for application. Unless the Q specified something
different, the basic color would have been applied. In steam days,
the Q used a fairly dark green on cab interiors. I believe some of
the Q diesels also had the same color.

When I first went to work at EMD in the mid '60s, historic order
files were readily available back to and including pre WWII. I
remember looking through some of them for order details. At that
time, I thought they would always be there. Obviously, they
eventually disappeared, first to off site storage and then, who knows
where. In EMD's later lean years, historic preservation was not a
major concern. Even the builders photo files were not well preserved.
In the good years of the  '60s and '70s, record preservation was not
a major activity except as it pertained to business and government
requirements. However, at that time, most if not all of the records
were there; one just had to look for them, and usually, there was a
secretary who knew where things were. I sure wish I had been smart
enough to copy some of those files that were important to my
interests (Q and others) when I had the chance. They would have been
excellent detail information for the "as built" specification for
specific groups of locomotives. Things like horn model, paint,
special lights, etc. were all called out and identified in those
files. They were the menu for building a specific group of
locomotives and every order had a file.

Bill Barber