Re: [CBQ] USRA Gons

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] USRA Gons
From: "Rob Manley" <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:53:46 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The new Accurail gon has been a topic on the Steam Era freight Car Yahoo group
lately. It may be close to a CNW gon but without seeing the ends they aren't
saying it is 100% accurate for any road yet.

"Dead-on accurate? Probably not, and we won't know for sure until we
see the model's ends. If they follow the AAR recommended practice
drawings, they'll be pre-war Dreadnaught ends, whereas that C&NW 70 ton
cars and other postwar versions all had Improved Dreadnaught ends.
Richard Hendrickson"

I'd wait to see what is published in RMJ as a reference article first. Look at
the photos and see what you can live with. I have heard it does have some nice
detailing for a shake the box kit. I'm guessing something along the lines of
the 3 bay hopper. Those are great for the Q. Either Jim Singer's 5th Avenue Car
Shops or a repainted Accurail car with Jerry Hamsmith decals and you are good
for at least 2 eras of modeling.

Rob Manley