Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car Toilets

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car Toilets
From: Aeolus3@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:14:49 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Even with the Amtrak Superliners the Pullman Standard built ones the  toilets
flushed on to the tracks. Well not exactly, the toilets flushed into a
holding tank and then the holding tank would empty on to the tracks when the
train
was at speed. As the story goes, this might be one of those famous urban
legends, there was a US Senator (I can't remember which one) was fishing on  a
stream near a BN railroad bridge in Montana and was doused with liquid  waste
from the Empire Builder. Now the waste was treated in the tanks before  being
let loose on to the tracks. As the story goes now all passenger  equipment is
equipped with holding tanks that do not empty on the  tracks but rather are
pumped out, much like the portable potties.

This perhaps is one reason passenger equipment in the old days was washed.  A
thousand or so miles of high speed with passengers using the toilets and
flushing along the bottom of the cars.... well I think you can all get the
picture. I remember riding the Burlington steam specials and seeing the track
go
by when flushing.

Loren Johnson