[CBQ] ROCHELLE,IL xing

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] ROCHELLE,IL xing
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 22:28:55 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
It's been awhile but the Rochelle discussion tweaked my memory.

Moving across the "Norwegian" crossing at Rochsmell could be  interesting.
One of my early trips westbound we came thru town and  finally stopped for a
red
board westbound on 1 at the C&NW. Dutifully I  climbed down from the lead
unit,walked to the control box and opening same read  the instructions. These
advised me to push the big black button in the  center,wait x minutes,check in
both directions for conflicting movements and if  none observed, then signal
the
hogger to proceed. At which time once the lead  pair of wheels had entered
the block I could close the lid and climb back  aboard. If you've spent anytime
in Rochelle you know by the time you crawl  up to the xing,walk up to it,wind
the clock,etc you've tied up the entire town  for 10 minutes and then have to
wait another 6 minutes ( I think).
So in my newby earnest ways I proceeded to "wind the clock",checked  for
conflicting movements and gave "breathless" a come ahead sign. As the train
started to move I closed the box,locked it and climbed aboard. As I sat down
congratulating myself; old breathless came across the cab and began a tongue
lashing that lasted beyond Flag Center. I was the most useless,dumb  brakeman
he'd
ever seen as I didn't wait the 6 minutes for the clock to run  down. Of course
he never explained why he moved the train w/o waiting.

Leo